UNC Charlotte NC Science & Engineering Fair Region 6
February 2 and 4, 2023 UNC Charlotte Region 6 NC Science and Engineering Fair.
Thursday evening, February 2, 2023: Senior competition will be judged virtually.
February 4, 2023: Elementary and Junior competition will be judged virtually
Registration Deadline is January 13, 2023
UNC Charlotte NC Science and Engineering Fair Region 6
Register Online and Forms DUE by January 13, 2023
Deadline for Judges to Register Online is January 31, 2023
Requirements for the Virtual Fair
A student needs:
- An original, grade appropriate research project (project should not be a validation of research)
- All projects must follow the rules and safety in research requirements linked on the NCSEF student information pages and students must complete required forms for their project. (ISEF Forms Wizard
- A digital project presentation of their research and a corresponding quad chart.
- Download the template and follow the detailed guidelines provided below. Links to templates for required presentation and quad chart can be found at:
- Detailed Instructions for Project Submissions* (Draft, ISEF may make small adjustments)
- Project Presentation Guidelines DRAFT
- Quad Chart Guideline DRAFT
- *Note: Senior division students that receive a grand award and are promoted to the ISEF competition will be required to complete the 2 minute video presentation articulated in this guidance. NC Regional and State Fairs will not accept these 2 minute video presentations.
- Further details on display and safety will be available soon.
- Optional Materials
- Up to 1 minute video to show how your technology or engineering project works
- Research paper (PDF only)
- Up to 4 sample journal pages (PDF only)
Elementary Division Categories (Grades 3-5) - All Elementary projects will be equally eligible for Exemplary and Honorable Mention awards.
- Biological Sciences
- Physics, and Math
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
Junior (Grades 6-8) and Senior (Grades 9-12) Division Categories - Junior and Senior projects receive place awards according to category.
- Biological Sciences
- Biological Sciences B
- Earth and Environmental Science
- Physics and Mathematics
More details and category descriptions here.
All projects must follow the rules and safety in research requirements linked on the NCSEF student information pages and students must complete required forms for their project. (ISEF Forms Wizard)
Prior to experimentation all students must submit a Research Plan (a research plan is not a research report/paper) to your teacher/adult supervisor or if you require pre-approval by the ISEF SRC (send to email@example.com) because your project involves human subjects (including the student), vertebrates (including your own pets), potentially hazardous biological agents (NO projects allowed at home any age and NO elementary students may conduct these experiments in NC), or hazardous materials or risky behavior. The Research Plan should include:
A. Question or problem being addressed
B. Hypothesis or Engineering Goals
C. Detailed description of the following:
- Procedures: Detail all procedures and experimental design including methods for data collection. Describe only your project. Do not include work done by mentor or others
- Risk and Safety: Identify any potential risks and safety precautions needed.
- Data Analysis: Describe the procedures you will use to analyze the data/results.
D. Bibliography – minimal 3 for Elementary and 5 for Junior and Senior
Please note that data is not to be included in the Research Plan.
Other Important Information
- The Research Plan is not a form but needs to be included with all paperwork. This is used for the Scientific Review Committee (SRC) to assess if all ISEF rules and regulations are followed.
- No Elementary students can do projects involving culturing micro- organisms (bacteria, mold, fungus, etc.) in any location (school, home, or regulated institution) no exceptions. - Click here for rules.
- No Junior (Middle) or Senior students can do projects involving culturing micro- organisms at home no exceptions. - Click here for rules
You must register online and submit all required forms to be registered for the 2021 UNC Charlotte Region 6 NC Science & Engineering Fair by Deadline January 13, 2023.
- Science Buddie
- Intel ISEF Resources
- North Carolina State Science & Engineering Fair
- Elementary Winners of 2020 Region 6 NC Science & Engineering Fair
- Junior and Senior Winners of 2020 Region 6 NC Science & Engineering Fair